The Thinking Cap
The Thinking Cap (TC) is a system for autonomous robot navigation based on fuzzy logic which has been implemented and validated on several mobile platforms. Parts of the TC were previously reported in a series of papers. The main ingredients of TC are:
- a library of fuzzy behaviors for indoor navigation, like obstacle avoidance, wall following, and door crossing;
- a context-depending blending mechanism that combines the recommendations from different behaviors into a tradeoff control;
- a set of perceptual routines, including sonar-based feature extraction, and detection of closed doors and blocked corridors;
- an approximate map of the environment, together with a positioning mechanism based on natural landmarks;
- a navigation planner that generates a behavior combination strategy, called a B-plan, that achieves the given navigation goal; and
- a monitor that reinvokes the planner whenever the current B-plan is no more adequate to the current goal.
Fig. 1: the TC architecture.
|Designed and maintained by A. Saffiotti||Last updated: May 23, 2000|